Friday, May 26, 2006

Voltaire:

A compilation I made a few years ago of some things I read about and by Voltaire. Even though he was rather in opposition to my world-view, he had singular vision:


Voltaire:
"The wicked can have only accomplices, the voluptuous have companions in debauchery, self-seekers have associates, the politic assemble the factions, the typical idler has connections, princes have courtiers. Only the virtuous have friends."

"Of all religions, Christianity is without a doubt the one that should inspire tolerance most, although, up to now, the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men."

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

"As long as people believe in absurdities, they will continue to commit atrocities."

"It is better to risk saving a guilty man than to condemn an innocent one."

"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

"If this world were what it seems it should be, it is clear that it would be impossible for one man to enslave another."

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."

No comments: