Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Who will win this election and why it will not matter.

I've been talking with people who are Pro-McCain or Pro-Obama and it has been nebulous, but I have seen the portention from the political milieu that McCain will win, but it won’t matter. The portention from the current state of U.S. politics comes from various avenues, the most notable being the historical tendencies of the public.

Ostensibly, voting to spark change is the habit of the younger generation; I think this will turn around on this particular generation as it seems from various interactions, polls and televised hype that people are seeing McCain as different from Bush/Cheney. Thus, the tendency of some to stick with what is comfortable will meld with other people's tendency to bring about change and McCain will receive a great deal of voters who are under the radar.

Furthermore, I think McCain has succeeded in his campaign to make people believe that Obama is unfit due to inexperience. No one will argue that we are in a dangerous time, and although Obama has made an excellent choice of a running mate, he has not completely thwarted the McCain plan to paint him as inexperienced. Even though I completely disagree with the assertion that one could possibly be prepared for being the president, it appears to have been a great concern of voters throughout U.S. History.

Finally, although I am proud of this country for proving me wrong in a respect, race is going to be an issue. When I saw that a woman and a black man were running for the democratic nomination, I, as the tendentious misanthrope, thought nothing was going to come of their bids. I had a discussion with someone about 6 years ago about what would happen if a minority or a woman ran for president. I posited that if such an event took place in ‘08 or ‘12 that he or she would invariably lose but it would pave the way for prying the U.S. out of the dark age of spoiled W.A.S.P. men from holding the office of the presidency. I then predicted that within 3-5 elections, we would eventually, and thankfully, lose a great portion of the habitual racist/sexist voter population and would elect a minority or a woman.

While I think there will be many people who will vote for Obama because he is black, irrespective of his credentials simply for the fact that having a minority take office would be a great event for this country, I think this number will be squelched by the habitual racists who just couldn’t pull that lever and vote for a black person. I would love to be proved wrong in this respect, but my misanthropy commands me at this moment in history.

In the end I think that none the preceding will matter because I think that neither candidate will be able to carry out his stated goals. Without going into a protracted discussion of each candidates stated aims and why most are unrealizable, I think it will suffice to say that in this odd juncture in history, energy policies, foreign policies, domestic policies each have only one eventual avenue and derivation of each avenue can only come after the election as they are unrealizable in the current state of affairs (a lame duck president, policies and resolutions end term coming up after the election and other currently evolving issues).

It is going to be an interesting election and subsequent four years.

No comments: