Wednesday, June 14, 2006

What do I find the hardest part about writing an essay CL

Beyond any question, the beginning. At one time I would force myself to write the rest of the essay and then go back and write the intro paragraph. Then that became a practice that has made writing essay MUCH easier for me! It feels more natural to me and since your intro and conclusion paragraphs are really paraphrases of the body of your paragraph, it really helps. For me, if I get a subject in mind I will explore that topic and just run with it. Churn out paragraph after paragraph about the topic at hand with no organization. Often the paragraphs flow from one aspect of the topic to the next and thus coherient paragraphs come about, but not always. But after I get 3 pages of body paragraphs the hard part is done. I then go through the paragraphs I created and take one line from each that appear to be the "topic" of the paragraph and lay those sentances out. After I do that it is merely a matter shifting them around and editing them so that they tie in togheter so that they look like an opening paragraph. Then I just try to find some sort of way to tie everything together with an ending tone to get the concluding paragraph and then the essay is complete (draft 1 anyway).

But since I dont really start an essay out with the introduction anymore, i'd say that the hardest part of writing an essay for me now is to narrow down my thoughts on the topic to some concise articulation rather than the jumble they tend to be.

No comments: